Kiltimagh GAA Club
Saturday November 27 2021 
Featured Sponsors

P O'Connor & Son Solicitors
Elverys Sports
630197 visitors
since December 18, 2006

RSS Feed

Game Details

Return To Game Schedule

Senior Men





DateOct 17, 2021
Time1:00 pm
TypeIntermediate Championship
Game NotesKiltimagh exited the championship all guns blazing in Knockmore last Sunday. What a roller coaster of excitement this game turned out to be. You couldn’t take your eye off it for a minute. Kiltimagh went in to this game knowing that an 8 point victory over Louisburgh would grant them passage into the quarter finals. A tall order you might say! It became even taller as injury and illness ruled out a number of players before
a ball was kicked. Yet they were the width of the paint on the goalpost away from achieving this when, leading by 5 points, Conor Mallee shot narrowly wide in the 59th minute. In keeping with the bizarre nature of the game, Louisburgh hit back for 2-1 in 2 minutes to make sure that they advanced and ultimately it was by way of victory in this clash. Even after those heartbreaking scores, Kiltimagh had 3 more gilt edged goal chances in injury time as they kept plugging away until the bitter end. This game wasn’t lost in the final minutes as Kiltimagh were so dominant in the early stages that if they had taken half the chances they created they would have been out of sight at half time. As it was, they still led by 5 points at the break. This was despite kicking 9
wides and having 2 shots cleared off the line.
Louisburgh simply couldn’t live with Kiltimagh in the opening stages of this game as the Kiltimagh players surged forward to go 1-3 to 0-1 ahead. Sean Walsh and Paul Kelly were dominating midfield and Donovan Cosgrove was playing a stormer at full
back. Even the lone Louisburgh point came from a strange free, the award of which baffled most spectators. Before that, Cillian Finn opened the scoring with a free. Then Conor Mallee blasted to the net to get the Kiltimagh tails up. Finn added
another point and then Tomas Keegan got in on the act kicking over from a tight angle. Louisburgh replied with a second point but Keegan hit again before the water break to leave Kiltimagh 1-4 to 0-3 up at this break. The water break had led to a
turn about, for the worse, in Kiltimagh’s fortunes in their first two games but, this time, Kiltimagh kept the foot on the gas and outscored Louisburgh by 0-4 to 0-3 and that saw them lead 1-8 to 0-6 at the half time break. Ronan Malee, Brian Gallagher,
Aidan Cosgrove and Finn again all got on the scoreboard in this quarter. It was the third quarter that proved Kiltimagh’s undoing on this occasion though. Sean Walsh and Mallee were clearly carrying injuries in the first half. Both were having first class displays but they both had to be replaced after the break. Kiltimagh seemed to struggle without them and Louisburgh came right back into the game kicking 1-4 to Kiltimagh’s solitary point in this quarter. Kiltimagh’s point came from Owen Carroll but Louisburgh were now in the very strong position leading 1-10 to 1-9 at the second half water break. Kiltimagh’s chances looked to have evaporated but no one told these mighty players. They went right at Louisburgh after the restart and Jamie McNicholas hit over a great 45 to raise the spirits. Cillian Finn then kicked another great point to nudge Kiltimagh ahead again. Dylan Roache then gave more hope
when he pointed to extend Kiltimagh’s lead. Then one of Kiltimagh’s many great moves upfield in the game led to Paul Kelly bearing down on goal and blasting to the net and it was all to play for now for Kiltimagh. When Finn kicked over a point to put Kiltimagh 5 ahead, Louisburgh were reeling. Kiltimagh were storming through almost at will. They had the chances to sew the game up but in striding forward they left themselves open at the back. They got sucker punched when Louisburgh broke through for a goal and that effectively put paid to Kiltimagh’s hope of advancing. A mix up led to Louisburgh goaling again within a minute to take back the lead and they quickly followed that with a point to stretch their lead to 2. Kiltimagh still attacked relentlessly and Finn blasted a free millimetres over the bar when going for a goal in the final minutes. Kiltimagh had one last chance and with a draw of little use to them, Liam Lydon went for the goal only to shoot narrowly wide. Despite losing on the day and failing to advance this year, the Kiltimagh players and management can take great heart from this spirited, determined and skillful performance.
Team and Scorers: Jamie McNicholas, Mattie Cummins, Donovan Cosgrove, Sean Forkan, Jason Forkan, Cillian English, Brian Gallagher (0-1), Sean Walsh, Paul Kelly (1-0), Conor Mallee (1-0), Cillian Finn (0-5), Aidan Cosgrove (0-1), Ronan Malee (0-1), Liam Lydon, Tomas Keegan (0-1). Subs: Dylan Roache (0-1) for Conor Mallee, Owen Carroll (0-1) for Sean Walsh, Conor Mallee for Keegan, Conor Gallagher for Ronan Malee.

Senior Men

Show/Hide Legend
Player - Player   Goals - Goals   Points - Points  
 Player Player213


Show/Hide Legend
Player - Player   Goals - Goals   Points - Points  
 Player Player311

Powered by Team Website Platform
Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement